So you know that tomato sauce recipe from a month back? We need that for this one.
And it is a perfect one for the changing season. You know that amazing lasagna taste? It’s so comforting on a chilly day. It’s delicious, it’s comfort, but most of all, it’s… cheesy goodness.
Now, obviously, that’s not particularly vegan, but we can recreate the flavor in a vegan soup. And that’s more interesting anyway, right?
My suggestion is that you wait for a particularly cold day and make this for loved ones. It stores well for up to 2 days in the fridge, and can turn even the most meat-loving people over to the “dark side”!
- 1 serving of tomato sauce (see other Crunchy Writer recipe)
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 small to medium tomato, diced into chunks. Preferably peeled (broil tomato in oven, place in a bowl with clingwrap overtop, and leave alone for 10 minutes to peel it easily). See the tomato sauce recipe for detailed instructions on how to do this!
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup noodles (can be broken up lasagna noodles, or regular pasta, as it yields the same flavor)
- 1 serving of vegan cheese (I personally use Daiya Sharp Cheddar Vegan Cheese)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- First add mushrooms into a pot, with the peeled and diced tomato.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika and cumin.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, to soften the mushrooms and bring out their natural liquid.
- Add veggie stock and tomato sauce.
- Add noodles and stir.
- Continue cooking for five minutes before covering with lid and turning heat down to low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the noodles are cooked through.
- Take soup off the stove, add spinach, and cover for 3 minutes.
- Serve soup and top with your choice of vegan cheese.
Yields 1 serving.