This has to be one of my favorite things in the world. It’s stupidly easy to make, cheap, effective, and most of all, vegan. It’s cruelty-free and healthy. It’s… amazing!
I actually made a batch of these for Christmas one year and gave them to friends and family. I also put one in my bathroom and it was the best gift I ever gave myself for spa day!
The best part about this recipe though, is how versatile it is. Think of this recipe as a base, of sorts. And when you’re done making a big batch, divide it up, and make yourself different varieties.
More on that below!
- 1/4 cup Sugar In The Raw
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2-3 pinches of rosemary
- 1 tbs vegan soap (it can be body wash, hand soap, or better yet, hair conditioner)
- Begin by pouring the sugar into a mason jar. You need a tightly-sealed container, so make sure you get a glass container with a screw top, or a silicone, pressure-sealed lid.
- Add coconut oil and stir until mixed through.
- Add rosemary.
- Add soap and stir one more time. Consistency should resemble gooey marshmallow fluff.
- Add lid and store in the bath. Use up by the end of the week!
We all love seasonal hand soaps and scrubs! They bring the outdoors in, and give us a sense of cheer that only comes along once a year. So, if you’re looking to change up your sugar scrub season by season, look no further.
So a little about essential oils: essential oils should not be used directly on the skin without diluting them. The good news is that because you’re mixing them with other ingredients for these variations, you’re fine. Just don’t add more than 6 drops. My personal advice is to start with 3 drops, and see how you like it before adding more.
Apple Cider Sugar Scrub
Swap coconut oil for Apple Cider essential oil. Add 2-3 pinches of cinnamon instead of rosemary. Also, feel free to add a pinch of nutmeg if you want.
Pumpkin Sugar Scrub
Peppermint Sugar Scrub
Swap coconut oil for peppermint essential oil. Add 2-3 pinches of whatever spice reminds you of the holidays, rather than the rosemary. It can be nutmeg, vanilla beans from a pod, or even ground coffee beans.
Christmas Tree Sugar Scrub
Swap coconut oil for Cedarwood essential oil. Add 1 pinch of ground cloves, no more! Cloves are very potent. Do not add rosemary.
Vanilla Bean Sugar Scrub
Swap coconut oil for olive oil. Add 1/2 tsp of pure, 100% organic vanilla extract. Add vanilla beans from one pod instead of rosemary.
Orange Sugar Scrub
Swap coconut oil for olive oil. This gives it a buttery smell, but only do half the ingredient amount from the recipe, so 1/2 tbs. Add 1/2 tbs of orange essential oil. Add 2-3 pinches of thyme instead of rosemary, or leave the rosemary in – your option.
Lemon Sugar Scrub
Add juice from 1/2 a lemon. Swap coconut oil for olive oil.
Pina Colada Sugar Scrub
This one is unique. Leave the coconut oil in, but swap the rosemary for dried pineapple. Place the pineapple with the coconut oil in a blender until it’s smooth, then put that in a glass container/jar with the soap and sugar.
Assuming you want to gift these to loved ones for the holidays, feel free to do so! Get some pretty jars, bows and tiny ornaments or beads.
Here are some of my favorites:
- 75yd. Raffia Ribbon by Celebrate It
- 3/8″ Jute Ribbon by Celebrate It® Occasions™
- 7/8″ Burlap Wired Ribbon by Celebrate It® 360°™
- 7/8″ Lace Ribbon by Celebrate It® Occasions™
- Red Berry Spray Pick By Ashland®
- Assorted Berry Spray Picks By Ashland®
- Heritage Copper Half Pint Mason Jar By Ashland®
- Heritage Silver Half Pint Mason Jar By Ashland®
- Ball® Anniversary Edition Mason Jar, Half Pint
- David Tutera™ Glass Jars with Flip Lids
- Jolee’s Boutique® Stickers, Christmas Holly Repeats
***Alternatively, head outdoors! Pinecones are free there, I hear. Also, so are real spruce sprigs, twigs, colored leaves, etc, etc. Maybe all you need to buy is some twine!